Do These 5 Things Differently for Amazing Fall Skin
We all know that as fall temps approach, the humidity in the air tends to drop, leading to dry, stale and cool air. While it feels refreshing after the heat of summer, lower humidity can lead to dry and itchy skin and can aggravate many of our common skin conditions. On top of this, many of us are pumping dry indoor heat through our homes again— which certainly doesn’t help.
Here’s the good news! A few easy changes to your skincare routine and products can help your skin adapt as the weather changes. Read on for some of our favorite autumn beauty tips!
- Switch to a gentle hydrating cleanser if you’re not already using one. We recommend ZO Skin Health Hydrating Cleanser or La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Face Cleanser for a great over-the-counter option.
- Don’t over-exfoliate! While we love retinoids and glycolic acid, too much of these products can lead to dry, irritated and flaking skin. As the weather becomes cooler, you may need to cut back on your use of these products while your skin adapts. Consider replacing your retinoids 1-2 nights per week with a growth factor alternative such as the ZO Skin Health Growth Factor Serum. This product helps to improve fine lines and wrinkles but also works to improve the skin hydration and protective barrier- crucial for the changing weather!
- Cut back on the shower time and invest in a humidifier. Use lukewarm water in your showers, since hot water can worsen skin conditions and strip the skin of its natural moisture. Adding a good humidifier to your home helps bring moisture back into the air and improve your skin’s hydration.
- Switch to a thicker moisturizer. We cannot overstate the power of a good moisturizer and fall is the perfect time to use thicker, more hydrating products. This helps to both replenish the skin barrier and retain moisture in the skin. It is a crucial step for both the body and the face. We love La Roche-Posay Lipikar Balm and CeraVe Moisturizing Cream for the body and ZO Skin Health renewal creme and Epionce renewal facial cream and SkinMedica HA5 for the face. If you’re looking for an over-the-counter option, try La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer. This is one of our top autumn beauty tips!
- For chapped lips, we recommend Fix My Skin 1% hydrocortisone healing balm. If lips are significantly chapped, try applying Vaseline 3-5 times per day and using the Fix my Skin 1-2 times per day as needed.
Changing these few steps in your skincare routine each fall will greatly improve your skin’s hydration and help you transition smoothly through the seasonal change! If you aren’t seeing improvement with these easy at-home tips and tricks, we are always available to see you in the office for a visit.