What’s the Latest in Scar Treatment?
Cutting-Edge Treatment Insights from Scar Expert Dr. Kosari
Scars, whether they result from injuries, surgeries, or skin conditions, can often have a significant impact on a person’s physical and emotional well-being. Since there are many different types of scars (from acne scars to hypertrophic scars or keloids), treating them is not a one-size-fits-all approach. Treatment plans must be personalized, taking into account the scar type and the patient’s specific needs. Thankfully, Dr. Kosari, a leading expert in scar treatments, is here to shed light on the latest advancements and strategies in scar treatment that go beyond cosmetic purposes.
Medical Necessity vs. Cosmetic Enhancement
Scar treatments aren’t solely for cosmetic purposes. While easing the appearance of scars is desired in many cases, scar treatment can be medically necessary for some. According to Dr. Kosari, there are several types of scars that may require treatment for functional and even psychosocial reasons:
- Itchy or Painful Scars: Scars that cause discomfort or itching can benefit from treatment to alleviate these symptoms.
- Burn Contractures: Scars resulting from burn injuries that cause restricted breathing or movement are medically necessary to be addressed.
- Scars on Joints: Scars at the flexural elbows, knees, or neck that limit movement may necessitate intervention.
- Scars Affecting Emotional Well-being: Scars that significantly affect a patient’s mental and emotional well-being should be treated to improve their quality of life.
Scar Treatment Criteria and Risks
Dr. Kosari reveals “There’s rarely a case where scars cannot be treated. Most scar treatments are elective and outpatient, making them accessible to most.”
However, it is extremely important to seek out skilled practitioners to mitigate the risks that may come with scar treatment. Risks include atrophy from steroid injections or burns, ulcers, blisters and fat atrophy from devices. Trusting a trained professional is crucial to ensure safe and effective results.
Advancements in Scar Treatments
DLVSC is a pioneer in scar treatment, leveraging a handful of new advancements in this field with great success to the benefit of our patients.
- Combination Treatments: The use of multiple devices and techniques in a single treatment session has emerged as a significant breakthrough, particularly for acne scars. Dr. Kosari incorporates 2-4 different methods to achieve optimal results. This approach maximizes the benefits of various treatments.
- Ultrasound-Guided Subcision: DLVSC is pioneering the use of ultrasound-guided subcision. Dr. Kosari has used this novel technique on surgical scars and it’s a promising treatment for acne scars as well. While still at the experimental level, this approach could revolutionize scar treatment outcomes.
- Collagen-Stimulating Fillers: Recently, diluting and hyperdiluting calcium hydroxylapatite has proven to be a good way to stimulate collagen in severe volume loss cases. This technique is often used after subcision, offering a comprehensive approach to scar improvement.
If you have a scar that is causing you pain, discomfort or is simply an insecurity, book a consultation with one of our experts today!